HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-02-28 19:32:16

Wildchild
1000cc Pro Racer

United States

North Carolina MaY Ban Children On Motorcycles Representative Nelson Cole introduced a bill in the North Carolina (USA) legislature, HB-39, which would make it illegal for anyone under the age of 10 to ride as a passenger on a motorcycle. "This has nothing to do with helmets-they just can't ride at all," said Sam Nobles, State Legislative Officer for CBA/ABATE of NC and Lobbyist for NC BikerPak. "If you have been complacent about getting involved in bikers' rights, this one ought to wake you up! How would you like to explain to your child or grandchild that you can no longer take them for a ride, because your government doesn't think you are responsible enough to make decisions for your own family?" So far there is only one sponsor to the bill, and CBA/ABATE of NC is asking help from bikers across America to help shut this bill down NOW!! "Our goal is to generate enough e-mails and phone calls to Rep Cole to shut this down before he has time to get cosponsors," said Cotton Tedder, President of CBA/ABATE of NC and member of the board of the National Coalition of Motorcyclists( NCOM). You can contact Representative Nelson Cole at Nelsonc@ncleg.net or phone (919) 733-5779. Remember to be polite and considerate, but let him know your views about kids being able to go riding with their parents. (Our rights are constantly being tested, aren't they? Wild)

Replies

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-02-28 21:07:58

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

there is also proposed legislation in the UK to do the same apparently statistics dont show a reason for the bill to be supported here so in all liklyhood it will fail.

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-02-28 21:25:01

the_ox
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

But maybe a childs attention span may lapse, causing an accident. I presonally know of one "father" on here who has had his son fall asleep whilst on the back. He noticed it amd pulled over..........................lucky he is a good father. WHAT IF HE HAD NOT OF NOTICED?????? Especially as wild u advocate no crash helmets. Rant over that one!

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-02-28 23:04:55

rev_
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

my ex wouldnt let our son on the back as he's only seven this year (oh my god where did the years go) but your right ox about attention span and i dont think i would him anyway. At least till he's older! the way of society these days is to wrap us up in cotton wool so it wont be too far away till biking is banned completey......colonise mars with a total-recall gravity thingy and let us have it!!! no helmet? nice but....nutter!

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-03-01 02:33:26

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

errrm this wasnt about helmets but more to do with politicians taking liberties with parents and THIER children. noone should have the balls to stand up ( and get payed by the way) to say they know better how to raise anothers child. there is far too much of this shit going on in the world (well the western world anyway) if i were a parent i will decide if i am gonna take little bear on the back of my bike, and yeah he/or she will be kitted out in the best safty gear possible and no i aint gonna take risks and he/she WILL pay attention. i have taken a young pillion on the back of my bike (7 year old) with his mum and dads permission he payed attention for the whole run and his mates were all jealous cos he was telling them we had gone at 100mph (actually we never went over 45 but hell it was his story and who am i to say different) this lad now has bike posters all over his room, no footy stars no flash cars and all he spends his money on is bike mags. RESULT another biker in a few years time.

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-03-01 06:03:28

Wildchild
1000cc Pro Racer 

United States

I have fallen asleep on the back of the bike many, many times. Never caused me a problem. And, ditto to Bears comment. This thread was not about helmets, as it also stated in the article. The article, btw was taken from a biker magazine called "Free Wheelin" here in the states. It is a middle of the road mag, not predominately Harley, not predominately for or against helmet use. They simply let you know what is being brought up as reported to them.

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-03-01 06:09:45

Wildchild
1000cc Pro Racer 

United States

And, Bear you're story about the little guy as your rider made me think of something a friend says all the time, "It's his lie and he can tell it as big as he wants." :)

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-03-01 11:58:55

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

i agree with ya wild & bear - there is no need for a law banning under10's from riding pillion - that decision should stay firmly with the parents - a good parent will weigh-up the situation before taking kids for a ride.

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-03-01 17:23:29

the_ox
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

The helmet was a coment as to the possible injuruies a child may suffer if he/she falls asleep amd falls off. And how many times do u go asleep on the back??????? You are well lucky to be alive if you do and is the ride that boring u cannot enjoy it anyway!!!!!!!

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-03-02 08:33:05

scunjee
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

where is the line drawn??? yup should be at the parents discretion, but and its a big BUT, the child should ave fitted gear, boots, gloves,leathers, body armour and a properly fitting lid..... not cheap i grant ya, especially since kids seem to grow out of things every 2 weeks. i read somewhere that the current legislation proposal in uk was initiated by a family who had lost a nipper after their friend had taken nipper out for a ride with jeans t-shirt and an adult lid on, the rider was wearing full biking gear. the tragic outcome was that the rider lived and the child didnt. the postmortem and subsequent coroners enquirey concluded that if the child had been wearing well fitted bike gear there would have been a significant increased chance of survival of the incident for the deceased child. fitting out a child is not a guarantee of survival of any accident ill grant you, though im sure most will agree its a lot more responsible approach to riding with a young life planted behind ya on pillion.

North Carolina (USA) May Ban Children From Riding - Posted on 2005-03-02 11:22:04

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

yep scunj thats the one that initiated this piece of legislation here in the uk. but as there are no statistics to show a need for the legislation it is unlikly to even get a first reading in the commons. this was a tragic story the bloke riding the bike wasnt hanging about either at the time of the crash and is currently doing time for the death of the little one. the Parents are obviously grief stricken and are pressing for the legislation with a local MP but it is unlikly to pass the commitee stage. responsibility is everything when carrying a pillion no matter the age of the pillion, taking a risk with yer own life is an individual choice but gambeling with someone elses life/wellbeing isnt.

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ