HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-02-28 19:24:58

Wildchild
1000cc Pro Racer

United States

HONDA PLANS TO DEVELOP AIRBAGS FOR MOTORCYCLES Japan's Honda Motor has launched research into developing the first safety airbags that could be mounted on motorcycles, reported the mass circulation newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun. Japan's largest motorcycle manufacturer aims to commercialize motorcycle airbags in about three years, the paper reported on January 5, 2005 without citing sources. Honda plans to develop an airbag that will fit under the handlebars and protect the driver from the head to lower back when it is opened in the event of an accident, it said. No immediate comment was available from Honda. Honda wants to commercialize the product after finding ways to minimize production costs and working out the best suitable shape of the airbags, the daily said. The newspaper said that the technology had been offered before, on BMW motorcycles, but it had proved to costly at more the $2,000 for most buyers.

Replies

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-02-28 21:11:21

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

hmmm an airbag in a car can go off if the car hits a bump at the wrong/right speed can you imagine the results of a faulty air back going off when yer cranked over on a bend. yet more stupidity from daft money hungry big business. i for one wont be buying a new honda any time soon.

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-02-28 21:22:05

the_ox
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

This was discussed as early back as the 80`s, bit old hat to be honnest. Loke anything has happened. Same as the leg guards and the tank chest defender...............bet ya all go lookin for old copies of Bike now............Ogri will still be funny though

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-02-28 22:27:08

rev_
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

why???????????

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-01 02:14:45

macr1
600cc Boy Racer 

Ireland

I thought harleys always had air bags on them, lol. I agree with mike on this one. I have found, on the odd occasion that its been required, that standing on the pegs seems to work. I would prefer to be thrown away from the bike in an accident than caught up in it. It has worked well in the past, maybe more through luck, but im still here to write this, lol

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-01 04:32:10

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

i agree with mac here . when i started riding bikes the trainer always said if your going to crash get off the bike. a bit simplistic i know but i would sooner bounce down the road than gat trapped under a bike or sandwiched between the bike and the car or whatever. the TRRL are forever coming up with really good ideas when it comes to bike safety trouble is none of them actually work! enginneers like to think they can make everything better without actually knowing about the thing they are trying to make safe. Air bag deploys you get squished. Leg protectors cause you to head butt the vehicle instead of being thrown clear. heres a thought to prevent car drivers from causing accidents! weld a bloody big spike in the middle of the steering wheel, i bet non of them go above 30 ever again.Oh alright then thats too much, but you get what i mean, the safer you make something appear the more risks are taken with it.therefore make something less safe and perhaps people would take more notice of what they are doing.

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-01 08:45:09

the_grim_reaper
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

Airbags on motorcycles are a stupid idea and, while they could possibly stop you going over the bars, they aren't going to stop the tailgating arsehole behind you then running you over. If people could drive in the first place, we wouldn't need airbags etc at all. Cheers Grim

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-01 09:52:20

Bobro
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

What they need is a really poweerful ejecter seat built in to the bike, and you get given a parachute. you crash, definatly get thrown from the bike and then parachute down saftly after the accident has finished. or the same thing but you have the air bag fitted in to your leathers so you get thrown from the bike and then pow turn in to a giant beach ball!

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-01 11:37:48

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

i am sure i have seen bike clothes for sale (or at least under development) that have air bags in them and if your in a crash they deploy turning you into the michelen man your limbs and torso are itn theory protected from serious injury. now this idea i can cope with, i would seriously consider buying this product, but as for a bike with a fixed airbag i would take a lot of convincing before i could be persauded to part with any money. pmsl at the thought of an ejection seat and parachute.

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-01 12:06:00

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

another stupid idea - why not introduce a parachute to the bike/rider to be diployed on impact and it might slow you down enough to avoid being smashed against something harder than yourself - why it might even glide you clean from the scene.

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-01 12:11:31

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

even a better idea - why don't i read bobro's thread before i post my own - DOH!!

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-01 14:57:33

Bobro
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

lol no worries joe, great minds think alike, but everyone note i posted it first, knowing my luck it would be invented and i will be kicking myself i didnt actually invent it.

Airbags For Motorcycles? What next? - Posted on 2005-03-03 08:17:48

Bodysnatcher
125cc Learner 

United States

How about a 12 gauge shot gun shell in the car drivers air bag deployment system. It would go off anytime a motorcycle was six inches or less from the car.

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ