HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-25 11:23:40

groundsman
125cc Learner

United Kingdom

Egg Run cancelled Police officer on a motorbikeA spokesperson for Wirral Borough Council and Merseyside Police said, "We've been informed that the organising committee for the Wirral Egg Run 2005 resigned at a meeting on Sunday 20th February. We must therefore presume that there will be no official organised Egg Run event taking place this year and would urge motorcyclists to be aware of this. We've been in discussions with the organisers of the Wirral Egg Run 2005 since July last year and have asked the committee to consider changing the format of the event this year. This followed a review of the event, which has grown tremendously over recent years to the position where approximately 5000 riders took up to 50 minutes to pass any given point on the route. Public safety concerns The review highlighted significant public safety concerns with the amount of riders travelling along the public highway, whilst also still open to other motorists and pedestrians. Despite discussions over a protracted period the organisers have so far been unable to fully address the safety concerns and have clearly decided against staging an organised or official Egg Run Event this year. The organisers would not agree that an alternative day long motorcycling event at a location on the Wirral could achieve the objective of raising money for hospital charities. An offer was made last year by Wirral Borough Council to run a registration scheme, similar to that operated for the London Marathon. This unfortunately was not accepted by the 2005 organising committee. Donate directly Last year the 5000 rider motorcycle event raised approximately £12,000 for charities with donations from riders and members of the public who watched the procession. Merseyside Police would urge anyone who would normally have made donations to charity during this event to consider donating directly to their local hospital. Wirral Area Commander, Chief Superintendent Alan Jones said, "I really regret that the 'official' Wirral Egg Run 2005 will not now take place but the safety of the participants and members of the public is of paramount importance to the Merseyside Police. We have had considerable discussions with the organisers over the format of the event and I am more than willing to continue those discussions for an event in 2006 that will achieve the key objective of raising money for hospital charities". Wirral Council's Director of Regeneration, Alan Stennard, said: "Council staff have been working with the Egg Run Committee to make this a safe but fun day. We understand however, that the demands for this event mean that the organisers have decided today not to be involved in any future organisation of the Egg Run for 2005. It's a sad but perhaps necessary decision given the scale of the project." Joint statement from Wirral Borough Council and Merseyside Police taken from merseyside ploice web site http://mp.useconnect.co.uk/html/news/news/february/kh24-02a-eggrun.htm

Replies

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-25 11:41:44

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

A few years ago the MAG were having a demo run into london to coincide with a rally that was being held near by. The cheif constable decided that the bikers would not be allowed permission to go into london as it was feared that traffic would be brought to a standstill (which after all was the purpose of the demo in the first place). so at the rally on the saturday morning an announcemnet was made to all the rally goers that the police had refused permission for an organised run through the city. The run organizer however was a bit pissed off about the high handed manner of the police and decided he was going into london anyway and asked if anyone fancied going sigfht seeing (buckingham palace beeing the sight that he was going to see) As long as the bike being ridden was legal there shouldnt be a problem. So off he went followed by all that had intended going on the run.london traffic wasnt completly jammed but was even slower than usual as hundreds of bikes went through . they all stopped outside the gates of the palace for a photo call and a couple of speeches were given including a request via a loud speaker to the queen "oi lizzie put the kettle on ". there was nothing the police could do about it as the event was not organised by anyone the bikes on the run were all legal and to check out everyone would have brought london to a standstill (ensureing the cheif constable would have got loads of grief). Everyone had a great day out in the city apparently tho some of the locals were not ammused. just bear in mind that if your vehicle is legaly entitled to be on the road the police cannot stop you from using it on the road. if the egg run (officially) has been cancelled there is nothing to stop all 5000 expected egg run bikers going on the run as long as they realise there is no organised marshals to help. Use the previous years route ect . I find the polices attitude in this instance to be kinda disturbing as they believe they can stop a group of people going about there lawfull business and prevent free assembly . bollocks they cant do that you pay road tax and as such you are entitled to ride your bike as and when you like as long as you dont break any laws there is nothing they can do about it. The council and the police should know they are public servants (not masters) and they should also think about all those easter eggs that the kiddies in the hospitals now, might not get. Sod em they cant stop the individuals concerned from using the road nor can they stop anyone from visiting a hospital to make a delivery.Be aware though that other road users may not know whats happening so be prepared for stroppy car drivers if you (and the other 4999 bikers) do decide to go for a spin to the kids ward at the hospital concered. good luck with it all and remember free assembly and free speech are not criminal nor civil offences nor is riding your perfectly road legal bike .

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-25 12:18:50

davie
1200cc Race Star 

United Kingdom

well said bear..i agree totally.

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-25 14:00:58

groundsman
125cc Learner 

United Kingdom

lot of bikers are still go do it with or with the ploices help lol

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-25 16:13:37

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

spot on bear - i agree well said

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-25 19:07:21

the_ox
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Totally agree and i bet would Fred Hill whim i met on several MAG runs many moons ago

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-25 19:24:27

rev_
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

I haven't been to the wirral in ages......... ............is there anybody we know that lives that way............... ....................be nice to 'visit' friends......!

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-25 23:44:48

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

ahha just what i like to see..... a healthy disrespect of authority . lol . fred hill would indeed be proud.

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-26 07:26:33

jayr1cooper
750cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

i was brought up to beleive we live in a democracy but it seems more and more as though we dont, freedom of speech is just a load of shite because no doubt if you stand there and say you are whatever someone will take offence. The whole political correctness is an absolute sham. Good luck with the easter egg run do what you have to do and feck em

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-26 10:37:31

groundsman
125cc Learner 

United Kingdom

jay as far as i can tell we have freedome of speech if ur not on two,three wheels seems to me even the courts let u off if u kill a biker, maybe we should have marches, and rallys about free rights for bikers, like they gays did. but stopping a egg run, i think this is r new cheif of ploice showning us hes the boss, oh dear is he in for a shock fancy picking a charity run to do this what a losser, a lot of none biking people have been phoning the local radio station to complain about this. Stopping sick kids from getting a egg or toy, what a big man he is.bet ur all scared to come to merseyside now. u can email r local radio station E-mail: radio.merseyside@bbc.co.uk, let them no what bikers think. rock n ride all

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-26 14:45:12

yamirider
250cc Rider 

United Kingdom

where about u at groundsman? im in kirkby.

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-26 18:31:15

AnimalMother
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

How crap is that! I am from the Wirral originally and now live in Liverpool. I was looking forward to the egg run too!

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-26 18:34:15

AnimalMother
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

I'm not surprised it is cancelled actually. The organisers could not sort out a piss-up in a brewery! http://www.thewirralruns.co.uk/ There is not even any information on the egg run website and there hasn't been any ever, at all! I even emailed the chairman of the wirral runs commitee with my concerns and observations on how the organisaton could be improved and the reply i recieved was very short and very brow beaten.

Egg Run cancelled - Posted on 2005-02-28 02:10:15

groundsman
125cc Learner 

United Kingdom

yam am down the road from u , am in walton

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ