HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

V-Star Question - Posted on 2005-02-06 21:59:10

vanceheat
50cc Newbie

United States

Can anyone help me with my Yamaha V-Star 1100. It is a 2000 with 7,000 miles. I bought it last September and put about 750 miles on it. I store it in my garage and have been starting it every month into December. After a cold spell (around 0 degrees) I went out to strat it and it started to fire and then just cranked till the battery went dead. I charged the battery and now it just cranks. It tries to fire a few times and then i get a strong gas smell and stop trying. I don't want ot crank it too much. Things I have tried include: Checked all the fuses. Checked the spark plugs, cleaned them and sanded the contacts lightly. Also checked the spark.......they do. Gas tank is half full. The bike has aftermarket pipes and jetted carb with a high volume air cleaner. One thing i have considered is the fact that at colder temps the air has more O2 and may be too rich for starting. I have the bike sitting in the driveway in the sun since is is 50+ today and the sun is out. (unusual for Pittsburgh) I have tried it a few times and it seems to want to start but just won't. Any suggestions? I am a rookie with motorcycles.

Replies

V-Star Question - Posted on 2005-02-07 08:23:38

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Go to this site Vance it may be able to help you with your problem. http://www.vstar1100.com/engine.htm good luck Joeboxer.

V-Star Question - Posted on 2005-02-07 10:00:31

the_grim_reaper
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

OK, my guess would be that it is just not happy with the cold and the battery doesn't have the necessary power to turn the engine fast enough to fire. Try jump starting it off a car (WITH THE ENGINE OFF, NOT RUNNING OR IT'LL FRY YOUR ELECTRICS) and see if that turns the engine over a bit better, a high capacity diesel car is best as the batteries are more powerful. 99% of cold weather problems are battery related. If that works then your battery has probably suffered with the cold and will need replacing. If not, try storing it overnight in a warm place, if possible, to give the fuel a better chance to atomise. Replacing the standard air filter may hep as it will slow down the flow of very cold air into the engine. Cheers Grim

V-Star Question - Posted on 2005-02-07 14:47:45

10wheels
400cc Rider 

United Kingdom

This one may sound stupid but it has hapened to me, the fuel had been in the tank so long it had gone off, cheap fix if that is the problem. Regards, 10

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ