HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

Round key disc locks - Posted on 2005-02-01 11:53:38

10wheels
400cc Rider

United Kingdom

I am sure you have all read the write-ups regarding the round key disk locks, such as oxford, motrax etc. being able to be opened using a pen. I tried it with my prolok and opened it within seconds. I strongly recommend you try it with your own lock as it scared the crap outta me how quick and easy it was to open. Oxford have stated they will replace any of their locks purchased, no matter how long ago.

Replies

Round key disc locks - Posted on 2005-02-01 15:40:35

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

I tried mine 10 - it's a KrF2 disc lock ( possibly Israeli made ) i used an array of impliments for about 15 mins - could'nt open it - then again i'm not a bike thief or a locksmith who may be able to open it in seconds.Perhaps its just the ones you have named.Thanks for the warning m8.

Round key disc locks - Posted on 2005-02-01 16:53:04

the_ox
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Right as a locksmith there are a few reasons for this to happen. 1. The lock is a cheap version and there are no anti-pick disks inserted into the chamber. 2. The disks used are all of the same differ number, hence the pen trick, also with no anti-pick disks in there. 3. The disks do not fully rotate to the locked position due to wear. 4. You was a locksmith in a former life. As with any locking device it should be lubricated on a regular basis, use graphite powder not WD40, as WD40 leaves a residue that collects dirt and causes even more wear, or a spray lubricant made by mul-t-lock, who alspo do some bike related locking products and are very good and btw joe an israel founded company. Also two other names to look for with this type of lock is Abus and Abloy, both have solid reputations within the industry. All i can say is with this type of product you really do get what you pay for, so beware.........some of the stuff out there is real crap and shouldnt even be sold as a "security product". Now a treat for yas if you are in london or manchester lok for a company called E.Aldridge and son they are a wholesaler of some top stuff and have a walk in trade counter, use them and you will save up to 50% on street prices, bear in mind they only do security products and may not stock everything u need, will post their website when i get back from the office as there is now a on lne cat i think. Hope that has helped ox

Round key disc locks - Posted on 2005-02-01 17:39:06

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Ox m8 you are a security boff - thx for the info - bike thieves are rife here in Israel especially for sports bikes - while you are being nice and in the know can you recomend some products i.e bike locks ect..

Round key disc locks - Posted on 2005-02-01 18:49:21

concon
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

When 10 and I 'experimented' with this.... .we didn't even really have to pick it, we just used the pen cap, which slid on over the whole where the round key goes and turned it. Opened instantly! Another friend of ours tried it on his as well. He got into it with a pen lid too. We all had paid about £60 for the locks so they weren't cheapies in comparison to others out there. And our friends was a new disc lock so there was no wear for sure on his. He his currently waiting to here back from the bike shop's sales rep to hear about getting is money back. The bike shop owner's jaw hit the ground when our friend demostrated opening the lock with a pen lid in the shop. Even had the junior shop assistant try it. He was in it in seconds!

Round key disc locks - Posted on 2005-02-01 18:52:20

mathewp
400cc Rider 

United Kingdom

I have an oxford sold secure disk lock. I'd be interested in knowing how the pen trick works to see if works on my lock?

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ