HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-03 17:08:33

basshead69
400cc Rider

United Kingdom

Saturday 23rd April 2005, Birminghams Biggest and Best Unofficial St Georges Day Parade. meet at- Asda, Gt Bridge, A41, @6:00pm, all vehicles. . McDonalds, Bassets Pole, A38, @6:30pm, all vehicles. . Tesco, Shirley, Solihull, A34, @7:10pm, all vehicles. . Bluebell, Earlswood, Solihull, @6:45pm, bikes and trikes only. . The 2004 event was good, this one`s gonna be awesome! This is a non- racist, non-political event! All bikes, trikes, cars are welcome! All vehicles must carry al least one St George flag! For more info call-07951734674-All Welcome

Replies

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-03 21:22:55

rubber
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

there is acctually a st georges day web site www.stgeorgesday.co.uk

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-04 07:47:10

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

its an odd one but the english of late havnt been celebrating St georges day, i'm glad to see that its back on the agenda again as i can always do with an extra excuse to party. mmmmmm paddys day before you know it too. oh that reminds me how did england get St George as its patron saint anyway cos apparently George was turkish.

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-04 14:38:42

basshead69
400cc Rider 

United Kingdom

St. George is one of the most popular Christian saints ever to have existed and has been venerated at different times in every Christian tradition, Eastern & Western. He even finds a place too in Islamic Hagiography, that gives him the honoured title of "Prophet". He is best known as the slayer of the dragon and saviour of the maiden but, although this story exists in a number of different medieval literary versions and artistic representations, it is without any historical foundation and does not seem to have existed before the 11th century. There is, in fact, every reason to believe that George was a genuine martyr who suffered at Lydda before the time of Constantine. Indeed, certain accounts record his death to be in the year 307. It is written that George was an officer in the Roman army who, after giving his goods to the poor at the outbreak of persecution, confessing his Christian faith and refusing to sacrifice to the gods, suffered "terrible tortures" which lasted for seven years and was eventually beheaded. In Jerusalem, a monastery was erected and dedicated to him in the fifth century. Pilgrims in the Holy land between the sixth and eighth centuries speak of Lydda as the main place associated with George's cult (which resulted from his exploits) and final resting place of his relics - although the Coptic Church claims that these were transferred to Egypt and finally placed in the church dedicated to him in Old Cairo. How he came to be regarded as patron of England is somewhat unclear, but he has been recognised here from at least the eighth century. His act of martyrdom was translated into Anglo-Saxon by Abbot Aelfric (c. 955-1020) and some pre-conquest churches were also dedicated to him (for example at Doncaster in 1061). In 1222 a national synod at Oxford included a feast in George's honour among their lesser holidays, but it was not until after the battle of Agincourt in 1415 that it was included as one of the major feasts of the year. In 1348, King Edward III introduced the battle cry "St. George for England" and later founded the Order of the Garter, with St. George as it's patron. George later went on to become patron saint of Venice, Genoa, Portugal and Catalonia and his cult also became strong in Russia and Ethiopia. "hope that helps"

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-04 18:10:24

rubber
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

Oi Bear hun You ever thought some people know way too much. Dont know about you I'm Dyslexic and so no way i'm gonna spend half hour to read that one. XXXX how is you any hoo bear

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-04 18:16:41

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

wow! bass yer either very clever, have a photograhic memory or can cut and paste lol. am fine thanks rubber you ok too?

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-04 21:42:29

basshead69
400cc Rider 

United Kingdom

"cut & paste" m8, lol.

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-05 08:09:59

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

phew lol thought for a minute you were a theoligical student or summat. ahhh the wonders of cut and paste.

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-05 21:38:03

rubber
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

i always wonder when people cut n paste if they read all what they cut n pasted. By the way bear i dont do st pat's day cos i aint irish or american, i say this cos me family out there take great pride in pinching anyone what dont wear green on that day. By the way when is it???

St Georges Day Parade - Posted on 2005-01-09 19:00:41

basshead69
400cc Rider 

United Kingdom

I`v had lots of interest in this, and i`v still got 3000 flyers to give out, just hope the pub car park gonna be big enough to hold everyone.

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ