HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

imformation - Posted on 2004-11-05 00:18:07

bighazz
50cc Newbie

United Kingdom

thinking about buying a british oldie for my 2nd bike. looking at a1955 AJS model 20 - 500cc ,anybody know about how this model handles, is it reliable etc ,any info appreciated ,cheers bighazz.

Replies

imformation - Posted on 2004-11-05 12:25:55

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

nothing specific about the bike you fancy but if its a 1955 bike it wont be the most reliable of machines, it will be fine as long as you keep on top of maintenance, dont expect it to handle like a modern bike tho . it will be a rewarding if trying experience as with all old machines, spares might be a problem too so bare that in mind too.

imformation - Posted on 2004-11-05 13:35:31

scunjee
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

the 50's were a bloody long time ago in engineering terms so if u go ahead and get one of the "vintage" bikes make sure you are either a shit-hot mechanic or can afford to pay for one. Remember that even the basic tools have changed specification since then so all yer sockets, spanners, taps/dies and assorted garage junk will have to be imperial (mainly whitworth) Most marques have their respective owners club and i would strongly advise contacting them to find the pros and cons of owning the model bike you are after....but beware.... the owners clubs by virtue of their hobby tend to wear rose tinted goggles when yacking on about their pride and joy. As an alternative ....and if you are hell bent on owning a machine that would get skinned by a scooter, is scarey when cornering above 5mph and will leave you cursing/exhausted after trying to kick start the bugger for the 20th time try aa modern alternative like an Enfield "Bullet" which has hardly changed in design or spec' since the 50's when Enfield sold it to the Indians (....waits for cries of derision) I understand from an indian m8 of mine (who is a proud and deluded soul) that the brit versions are stripped and most of the major manufacturing defects corrected before letting them loose on british soil.

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ