HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 02:17:26

AnimalMother
600cc Boy Racer

United Kingdom

I'm a nodder, I nod to all of our two wheeled bretheren, even some cyclists and the odd pedestrian (admitedly NOT chavs/scallies on scooters). Many people just ignore my nod, do those peole just lack the appropriate nod muscles? Don't they subscribe to the nodding way of life? Some peole give a little wave, this is like a "super-nod" to me, I have even been known to give the odd little flick of the wrist (steady!) now and again! Are you a nodder, are you against nodding? Have you ever been shunned when offering a standard or "super-nod" (I know I have many times)? Please discuss.

Replies
    1 2 of 2 
   To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 03:50:27

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

i nod or indeed wave, was told to as a learner . have been ignored too and this does piss me off at times (ahem to the point when i nodded to a harley rider and he ignored me i turned the bike around and followed him to a set of traffic lights where i got of the 900 and dragged him off his bike shouting " You fucking will acknowledge me you fucking twat" . am not usually as full on as this but i was pissed at the tosser for ignoreing a lowly jap rider. am sure he nods and waves at everyone now . he was very very apologetic (ie terrified). i dunno, how much effort does it take to acknowledge a fellow rider. it aint just harley and custom riders that ignore a nod either sporty riders are renowned for having no manners too (tho i doubt i can catch up with them). i can see the point if yer blasting into a bend at 100+mph how you wouldnt want to remove a hand to wave or indeed nod to another rider as safty is involved but at anything under the speed limit ignoring peeps is just plain rude. remember there is a pound and a half of shite in everyone, no-one is better than anyone else, and we all ride two wheels, there is enough faceless tossers out there that would happily see us all on the bus, without us alienating each other for the sake of a nod. So my vote is for nodding/waving where possible ( we are a dying breed and need to stick together).

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 07:28:07

hornyangel
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

Well it kinda comes natural to nod a fellow bikers......since the day i went on Ians bike iv always done it.....even sometimes i kind myself doing it when im in the car pmsl................. Havnt been out much really on my own bike only on CBT but had peeps doing it all day to me, was really nice............ Does piss me off to when other bikers ignore you!! When we went to France couple of years ago on bike, found that the French don't nod they use there feet stick there foot out to say thanks or hello....

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 07:33:52

scunjee
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

in my biking infancy administering a nod whilst being glued to the tank of yer legal cc of choice was a mark of respect to the other rider. do any of you remember the pride and the 1.75 extra mph you got when one of "the big fellers" gave a nod from their gleaming behemoths up high? corr.... from those humble begginings i have continued to acknowledge bike/trike/scoot riders though from my perspective acknowledgment is returned less and less, which is sad and not really friendly or ultimately that smart as the peep they ignore today might be the peep who sails on by whilst they are grappling in the wet with a puncture tomorrow.

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 10:13:43

jayr1cooper
750cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

I'm a nodder and I sometimes feel a little miffed when peeps don't return the favour it is more out of respect for my fellow bikers that I do it more than anything else. Depending on the road I may also do a little wave depending on whether I'm happy or sad.

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 12:49:09

r1madman35
125cc Learner 

United Kingdom

i also am a nodder,,and yes it does piss ya off a bit when other's dont nod. I was even doing it as a pillion. My instructor told me it was good etiquette to nod to fello riders asyou never know when you might need there help,,say if ya broken down or something..i own a sports bike and still nod. it only takes what 1 sec to throw one up,,geez come on people,,band together we all have the same thing in common..RIDING...we go to meets and caht and look at bikes there so why not pay another compliment whilst on the open road..

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 13:19:25

Severian
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

im a nodder..... but not many bikers would not back to a 125 rider, which is a shame....but a wave and i go all giggly and grinning!! please nod to me id be so made up!!

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 13:36:09

ton_up
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

I nod Good bikers nod Power Rangers don't nod Scooterists don't nod it's good to nod it pisses me off when I nod and am ignored I will never stop nodding (except for when I'm not on my bike, that would be foolish) Thanks for listening.

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 13:51:41

AnimalMother
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

F*ck me guys, check this C*nt out!!!!! http://www.riderreport.com/forum.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/58753.cfm What a Tw4t!!!!!!!

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 14:19:54

the_ox
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Lol at the drivel on that sits AM, on the point of nodding, i was brought up to nod, or even a flash of highbeam to others on their way past me. It does seem to be a dieing trend though, but as an ex DR it was impossible to wave and nod at every other DR and a waste of time as we all (at that time virtually knew eachother) so was kept for the open roads, trips to the seaside, box hill ect. And the golden rule of them all, Always stop if a biker is by the roadside, or if you witness a accident. I have personal experiance of being knocked off, sustaining a fractured skull and broken arm and bikers ???????? riding past me...............Wankers

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 16:17:48

scunjee
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

yeah, good point there ox...as a young'un i had mid wales as a stomping ground but soon learnt that hammering around vauxhall yer more interest in getting out the other side in one piece that observing open road curtesies. and no....i've never passed a stranded biker....though one prick i wished i had.....i pulled up and it was obvious the prick didn't have a clue what he was doing in sortin out a puncture....offered to give him a hand as i was opening the back of me wagon(always used to carry a selection of tools in there) he replied no he was fine and didn't need any help...fine m8, says i and toodles off to do what i was doing....hour or so later i pass the same place from the opposite direction, notice the eejit still there and pull over....the dimwit had mangled a tyre... offering him a lift he turns around so u can come back and nick it, fuck off....so i did... i still remember shaking with rage in the wagon and tellin myself not to turn around and batter him, nick his bike and leave him on the verge naked....would have served him right if i had

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 16:37:26

the_grim_reaper
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

Nodding is the only thing that seperates us from the lemmings in their cages. I sometimes wait to see if a scooter nods at me before nodding back but I nod or wave to all two wheelers. Each and every one of them is a prospective biker, as far as I'm concerned. I also thank people who move over in their cars to let me by and try to be polite to anyone who goes out of their way to make my journey better. Cheers Grim

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 18:21:08

the_ox
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Good point Grim i use the tin can a lot as ya know and i look out for bikes filtering, alwyas make the effort to give room, the "bikers" wave, nod, waggle a foot. The mopeds just fly thru and say/do fuck all. As it is i am lucky enought to be 5 mins from the ACE Cafe, so i have the opertunity to see more bikes than most during my working day and the majority of them are polite and courteous, however the harly riders are just fucking pricks full stop.

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 19:25:39

papaninja
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

I'm a "nodder" think its just polite........... as Ox said....Depatch Riders cant coz they'd be at it all day, but when i was a courier i ALWAYS nodded, waved or flashed me lights to fellow bikers, especially on the motorways etc.... Have stopped to offer assistance on many occasions in the past and will continue to do so...even when I'm in the car. Think everyone who has the balls to get on to wheels deserves a nod......Even Harley Riders...!! Respect to ALL riders no matter how big or small thier bike is......we all had to start somewhere! Ian

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 19:40:28

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

I agree with you all and all thats been said - to nod,wave,shake ya foot or a flash is like saying good morning,good day how you doin ect... I also stop for bikes on the side of the road - a bit of civility costs nowt.

To nod or not to nod, why????? - Posted on 2004-12-18 23:41:39

weasleboy
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

im must confess i nod all the time ,mostly after a bot of voddty

1 2 of 2 

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ