HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

American Built Sportbike-It's Coming! - Posted on 2004-11-03 00:15:27

HariMotoGPR1
50cc Newbie

United States

I'm doing a little research on what people would like to see? how would you build your dream bike? how much would you pay for it? if you say it will never happen, watch out its coming! I'm asking for the pro's and con's, be honest, thanks!

Replies

American Built Sportbike-It's Coming! - Posted on 2004-11-03 00:00:00

si
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

My dream bike would have to be fast,have amazing brakes,astonishing handling,drop dead gorgeous looks an engine note that would scare anyone within 10 miles, and be cheap!!! So that rules an american built sportsbike out then, the day americans build a bike thats designed to go round corners instead of 1000' of straight miles i'll prob be about 300 years old, thats my honest alchohol fuelled opinion

American Built Sportbike-It's Coming! - Posted on 2004-11-03 00:00:00

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

am loathed to admit it but si is right. an american sports bike that can compete with the japanese in performance and handleing at a price most mere mortals can afford just aint gonna happen. buell made a valient effort but fell flat on his face so to speak, and harley's v rod may have been a step in the right direction (hated it myself), but until an american company realises that the way to go for a sports bike is to do what the japanese have been doing for years and mass producing multi cylinder bikes that are fast , leak proof, easy to maintain, stop as well as they go, and actually go round corners,they will keep producing big twins, (personally id buy a big twin cruiser anyway, if i want to go fast i ride japanese). the cost of setting up a factory to produce the engine alone would prove to be way too expensive to consider , sure the company could source the engine from japan or italy or even the UK and could no doubt source the frame and handleing componants from the best manufacturers of those parts, but it sure as hell wont be an American sports bike but yet another special like say a Harris Magnum, or a Spondon or similar.Hey prove me wrong by all means , i dont think i'll hold my breath though.

American Built Sportbike-It's Coming! - Posted on 2004-11-04 17:37:08

hammerntongs
1300cc Superstar 

Thailand

dont beleve a word of it the yanks never i repeat never built a good sports bike

American Built Sportbike-It's Coming! - Posted on 2004-11-06 12:58:49

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

i have to agree with ya tongs but i would like to see an american sportsbike if only to be able to compare the machine against the rest. i honestly dont believe its a financialy viable idea to start a company that manufactures all the componants for one machine from scratch.It will cost an absolute fortune in tooling costs alone thats before R&D and wage bills ect. However,I would like to see a 750cc to 1000cc four cylinder engine (it must be reliable, oiltight,light in weight, fast and of unit construction. The frame , I would go for somthing that is light in weight andmakes the engine a stressed member, single sided swingarm at the back and (yawn) upside down forks up front, unless of course you can make hub centre steering look good and work well. big endurance style tank, optional pillion seating, and a big fook off rorty zorst (loud pipes save lives).simple and understated (ie tasteful) paint, stainless fastners throughout or at least anodised alloy fastners.light weight 3 spoke alloy wheels and fully floating disc brakes with proper brake calipers that work and are progressive in nature. cost of machine would have to be competetive (read cheaper than the competiton).If your talking small volume manufacturing is there a market for the bike? or will it be an expensive white elephant that only the weekend warrior/RUB's can afford.

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ