HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

weston super mare is on fire again - Posted on 2009-06-04 22:56:08

ohsomadeddie
1300cc Superstar

United Kingdom

BREAKING NEWS: Seafront hotel in flames

04 June 2009

Firefighters are battling to save the landmark hotel

DOZENS of firefighters are battling to save a landmark Weston hotel this evening (Thursday) as a huge fire threatens to destroy it.

The Royal Pier Hotel - located on the seafront near to Birnbeck - caught alight late this afternoon.

Crowds have gathered around a police and fire service cordon to so whether the once-grand building can be saved.

The fire was first reported by company director Leon Jones, of Clarence Grove Road, who was working in the area.

He told Mercury reporters at the scene: "I looked up and saw smoke coming out of the top vents. As soon as I saw it, I called 999.

"People were running for their cars as they were panicking, thinking that their cars were going to catch on fire.

"They jumped into their cars and drove off - and then the fire brigade came."

Crews are still at the scene at the time of writing, with nearby roads closed and police diversions in place.

Witnesses at the scene say that one end of the pier has been devastated by the blaze, with fire teams bidding to stop the fire spreading to the other end too.

Royal Pier Hotel owner Jim Scott had told the Mercury earlier this year how he had grand plans for the site, outlining a vision for redevelopment which included a new hillside retail quarter linked to a Birnbeck Pier regeneration.

--

LAUGHING IN THE FACE OF DANGER

SINCE 1980

Replies

weston super mare is on fire again - Posted on 2009-06-04 22:58:44

ohsomadeddie
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

UPDATE: hotel still alight

04 June 2009

THREE hours on from the start of the blaze at the Royal Pier Hotel firefighters are still tackling the flames.

By 9pm the fire had spread to the west of the hotel, but at present only in the top two floors are burning.

A tiled roof that sat on top of the affected area of the building has now completely burned away.

Fire officers still do not know what caused the blaze, although rumours are rife that it was started by arsonists.

Extra fire crews are still arriving on the scene and they continue to survey the site.

A relief centre has been set up at The Cove Café to provide refreshments for the scores of emergency workers.

--

SINCE 1980

weston super mare is on fire again - Posted on 2009-06-05 10:25:30

ohsomadeddie
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

A 20-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested on suspicion of causing the blaze that ripped through the former Royal Pier Hotel.

Police confirmed the fire was suspicious and investigations are ongoing.

Unconfirmed reports of a person trapped inside are to be fully investigated once the building is deemed safe to enter.

A crew and five fire engines continued through the night to battle the fire which started at 5.40pm yesterday.

Birnbeck Road remains closed while firefighters continue to dampen the flames.

More than 50 firefighters from Weston, Winscombe, Blagdon, Yatton, Clevedon and Bristol attended the fire last night and water was used from Marine Lake.

--

SINCE 1980

weston super mare is on fire again - Posted on 2009-06-05 11:57:12

ohsomadeddie
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Flames extinguished after 16-hour battle

05 June 2009

Picture by Mercury reader Beth Snow

ALL flames have been extinguished in The Royal Pier Hotel after an overnight 16-hour battle.

Around 20 firefighters remain at the Birnbeck site and police are gradually allowing residents to enter nearby flats to collect property.

Birnbeck Road remains closed both ways between Birkett Road and Madeira Road and Claremont Crescent.

Rigid metal fences have been installed around the Prince Consort Gardens and police cars are still arriving.

The entire right side of the roof is blackened and several charred pieces of wood and metal are jutting out.

The once cream walls are tarnished and soot coloured and cracked window frames are hanging off the building.

The remainder of the building looks fairly intact as the second floor curtains can be seen in good condition and the windows have not smashed.

Jackie Finch, whose property on Birnbeck Road overlooks the hotel, said hoards of people trampled through her gardens to get on to her roof last night to watch the blaze.

She said: "I called 999 and all the neighbours when I saw the smoke.

"I was so worried I would have to be evacuated but luckily it didn't come to that."

The Captains Cabin pub and several flats next door were evacuated and inhabitants were put up in Daunceys Hotel over night.

Nearby residents had a power cut for several hours and were advised by the Health Protection Agency to close all doors and windows.

Once the building is deemed safe firefighters will enter.

--

SINCE 1980

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ