HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-20 10:49:35

scunjee
1300cc Superstar

United Kingdom

i notice that thers a few "newbies" to biking in here and thought the more experienced peeps in here might want to share a few tips. First one from me is if yer skint and cant afford all singing and dancing waterproof boots, gloves and jackets.....pull on plastic bags over yer feet/body/hands before pulling on the outer garments. Its easier to stay relativly comfortable if yer dry..... when u r wet forget it....yer in for a long cold and painful ride

Replies

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-20 11:49:25

papaninja
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

Also i know Leathers and the like are expensive but even the cheapest stuff on the market is ok compared to a few yrs ago..............GET some Protection........ Cheap all weather gear is far more practical than leathers......keeps ya warm...relatively dry and comfortable to wear. Crash helmets ALL meet British standards now and are cheap enough but get a named brand........Ya DONT have to pay Stupid money for decent protection. I'm sure theres more i could say but cant think of anything else at the mo..... Ian Oh....nearly forgot....... If you're young fit and single..........Papaninja is the man to send pics to......

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-20 15:10:43

Severian
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

I ride all winter, rain snow ice anything... i find if its cold outside or if you know by the time your traveling back it will be take a hot water bottle and put it in your jacket.... mmm toastie warm!!! Just dont fall off cos if you do and it bursts youll be really burnt.

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-20 22:58:29

the_ox
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

go to a fishing tackle dealers and buy the hot finger warmers they last for hours and get really warm

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-21 15:45:19

Roeby
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

My best winter warming tip is ................ if its very cold ............... DON'T GO OUT ON THE BIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stay round the radiators or fire lol

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-21 15:53:32

mathewp
400cc Rider 

United Kingdom

Couple of boiled eggs in an inside work great, they keep warm for ages, and you get breakfast at the other end of the trip.

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-21 16:00:53

Severian
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

ooo yeah... if your like me and your feet freeze try furry bed socks, they nice and warm...or try anything thick and wooly, thats great insualation.

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-21 16:54:04

hornyangel
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

I agree with ya roeby hun, DONT GO OUT!! Don't think Ian has the hang of that yet he stays in rain or shine pmsl

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-21 18:30:07

scunjee
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

my bruv was a para....gawd knows how cos he's soft as shite....well he is my ikkle bruv....but after he's sorted out keepin dry....he harps on about layers of clothin and lots of them...

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-22 10:24:22

the_grim_reaper
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

Layers is right, two thin layers trap air between them and will keep you warmer than one thik one, plus you can still move freely etc. As far as winter waterproofs go, they may be pricey but don't skimp if you can help it. You don't have to spend a fortune, the winners of the DiRe winter kit report was the Spada Circuit/Podium - £190 for jacket and trousers. Also, eat a hot breakfast before you go out, especially if you are going for a long ride. It'll keep your body core warm. Buy some silk glove liners, they are very thin and warm but don't get them near velcro, it destroys them. That's about it really, buy the best kit you can afford and listen to people who have bought crap and now buy decent stuff - like me ;-) Hein Gericke are pretty cheap and their winter kit now has a 2 year guarantee as well. If you're going to buy, take your boots, lid and gloves and make sure that the cuffs go over or under the gloves, for cold or rain. Make sure you can sit on your bike in the kit, if the shop won't let you try, tell 'em to f*** off. Warm is good but, if you ride a 916, you need to be able to bend into a little ball. Cheers Grim

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-22 10:47:46

scunjee
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Yup...Heine Gerricke gets my vote....got a 2 piece "taureg" set of all weather gear and it's been excellent....so far!! Some may think them sissy, but hey my hands are toastie....set of Oxford Heated Grips are relatively cheap...dead easy to fit with a modicum of electrical knowledge(if no elecrical knowledge make sure yer dealer doesn't bung em on yer pride and joy with swathes of insulation tape)

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-11-22 12:50:01

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

i know they look naff but handle bar muffs are the business for keeping yer hands warm and cheap too (about a tenner from ebay or about 20 quid in a bike shop).

Winter warming tips - Posted on 2004-12-04 14:24:59

bear
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

another good and cheap tip get some old news papers andshove them down between yer jeans and waterproofs and also inside yer jacket extra insulation. also usefull if your going to a winter rally to start yer bonfire with.

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ